Hunter Volunteer Centre

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the questions people commonly ask us. We are constantly updating this page but if your question is not answered below please feel free to ask.

What sort of volunteer positions are available?

Positions are available in almost every area and profession, some of which you have probably never even thought of. It is estimated that the average family actually relies on the services of around 20 volunteers per week. The most common positions come under the following categories:

  • Admin / Clerical / Accounting
  • Caring / Respite / Foster Care
  • Counselling / Mediation
  • Food Service
  • Gardening / Outdoor Activities
  • Mentoring / Tutoring / Reading
  • Technical / Mechanical Maintenance
  • Visit / Social Support / Driving

What geographical areas do you cover?

Most of our volunter positions are in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie areas, but we also have positions in Port Stephens, Maitland and throughout the Lower Hunter.

What hours of work are involved?

Hours can vary from position to position and depend on how much time you have available. Some organisations only need volunteers on particular mornings or afternoons and some ask for evenings. There are even some that need volunteers for weekend work. You should remember though that the hours should be mutually agreed between you and the organisation.

Do volunteer organisations offer training?

HVC runs an information session called Bridge to Volunteering that is designed to help volunteers to identify areas in which they might like to participate. Depending on the skills required for a position, organisations often provide additional training. For example, The Volunteer Coast Guard provide a 6 month (one day a week) course. Glendale TAFE have a 12 week (one day a week) course for volunteers in their literacy programs. Check with us during your interview and we will be able to tell you more.

Are there any special requirements for volunteers?

As a general rule, no. But in some cases there are. Certain welfare organisations require a police record check, and volunteer bus drivers must meet RTA license requirements. We will be able to tell you at your interview if you need anything special.

I don't have any transport. Can I still volunteer?

Of course! We always try to find activities as close to your home as possible. If you do not have transport we will look for activities on your major bus routes.

Do I have to be unemployed to be a volunteer?

No. Quite a few of our volunteers are currently in full-time or part-time employment.

Can I satisfy Centrelink requirements in respect to volunteer work programs?

Yes. We are able to place Centrelink clients who are on Mutual Obligation programs. Your interviewer will be able to give you more details relating to your particular case.

Am I covered for Workers' Compensation and personal injury & liability.

Most organisations carry insurance to cover volunteers, however it is the volunteer's responsibility to ensure coverage.