Litle Wings Saves Lives
Little Wings is a not for profit organisation whose mission is to provide a professional, free and safe flight and ground transport service for children from rural and regional NSW to access specialised medical services and treatment in major centres. Our aim is to support families to reduce the financial burden, emotional strain, and travel fatigue associated with long distance travel.
The Little Wings charity was established in 2012. Starting with provision of a service for children undergoing cancer treatment at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Little Wings has since built its capacity to provide services to other seriously ill children across The Sydney Children’s Hospital Network and The John Hunter Children’s Hospital Newcastle.
We transport families with regular and ongoing medical appointments and bring children home for short breaks during their treatment to be with family and friends. We help keep families together during one of the toughest times of their lives – and we will continue to do this with the support and generosity of our community of supporters and partners.
Little Wings Passion and Goals
Little Wings objective is to provide support and care to these families to lessen the impact of this traumatic event. Little Wings supports families by:
- Lessening the travel fatigue experiences by repeatedly travelling by road, train or commercial flights;
- Lessening the financial burden associated with long distance travel and time away from employment;
- Returning children home in a timely and safe manner enabling families to remain together as much as possible. This improves the child’s quality of life, recovery process and family cohesiveness;
- Providing urgent short notice transport services for family members to support their sick child;
- Increasing the effectiveness of the child’s treatment by not having them exposed to the risk of infection associated with travelling on public transport and commercial flights.
Little Wings Pilots
Safety is paramount to every aspect of the Little Wings operation. Only aircraft specifically selected for suitability of use, fitted with modern avionics and safety record are operated. Our pilots are highly experienced commercial pilots operating under instrument flight rules and are carefully selected as part of our Quality Management Procedures. All of our pilots are routinely reviewed to ensure the highest possible safety and service standards are maintained.